What is NYLT? The training of youth leaders in the Unit is important in helping individual Scouts, Venturers, and the Unit grow. The Boy Scouts of America has developed a six-day training experience, the National Youth Leadership Training Course (NYLT) that has proven valuable in the training of youth leaders. The course will stress the skills of leadership that will make youth leaders more effective in their Unit leadership positions. Perhaps more importantly, the Scout or Venturer will be exposed to living skills that will allow him to become a successful leader in any organization. This course will provide the youth with the tools that he needs to develop his leadership potential. The skills taught will immensely facilitate the Unit Leader’s leadership development of the youth and directly benefit the Unit’s program.
What is its Purpose? Scouting recognizes that Unit Leaders have the responsibility of training their own youth leaders. The purpose of the National Youth Leadership Training Course is not to assume the Unit Leader’s role, but to support it. The course objectives are:
- To enhance the relationship between the participant and his Unit Leaders.
- To have fun.
- To give participants a basic knowledge of the skills of leadership and help them relate these skills to their Troop or Crew responsibilities.
- To give participants the opportunity to share ideas and experience with youth from other Units.
- To give participants the confidence and knowledge to run the Unit program.
- To create an atmosphere where Scouts and Venturers will experience Scouting at its best.
Qualifications: Any Scout who participates in the course must be at least a First Class Scout and 13 years old (but not yet 18), and a Scout that the Unit Leader feels is mature and currently filling a Unit leadership position or likely to assume a leadership position in the near future. The Scout may only attend on the Unit Leader’s recommendation. It is important that the Scout have camping, cooking and hiking skills. There is no rank requirement for Venturers – but a recommendation from your Crew President or Advisor is required.
Location and Time: The course will be a two weekend long course held from Jan. 13-15 and Jan. 26-28 at Camp Bowers. The course will be led by Course Scoutmaster David Criser and an experienced staff of youth and adult trainers.